We’ve now implemented Verified by Visa and Mastercard Securecode for your online safety
We are always looking at new ways to improve the service we provide to our customers and increase confidence in shopping online. We’ve always taken online security very seriously, encrypting all transaction details and not storing any financial information.
To improve this we have just implemented address verification with HSBC Bank, Verified by Visa and Mastercard Securecode, all to further increase your online safety.
Previously, When you have entered your credit card or debit card details there was nornally a momentary delay whilst the information was sent to HSBC Bank for verification. Now as well as checking all your card details HSBC will also verifiy your address. You will then be transferred to a HSBC Secure page where you will be prompted for your Verifiied by Visa or Mastercard Securecode PIN or if you have not yet registered for one you will be prompted to do so. Once you have entered your PIN or registered you will be directed back to www.fitsense.co.uk to view your receipt.
Please read the information below if you want to know more:
What is Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode
Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode are the names of the services provided by Visa and Mastercard. They use personal PINs and identity information to help protect Visa, Mastercard and Debit card numbers against unauthorised use online.
What is meant by a “participating merchant”?
- It is a merchant that has registered for the Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCode service (E.g. Equestrian Ventures Limited trading as Fitsense Sports)>
- For the service to be 100% secure, it is important for banks that issue cards and acquire the transactions on behalf of merchants are certified for this service. Cardholders and merchants need to participate to ensure complete security.
- If a merchant is not certified, it is not a participating merchant, and it will not receive the benefit of guaranteed payment.
- A participating merchant can be located in England or anywhere else in the world.
How do I know whether a merchant participates in this service?
- Most participating merchants will display the Verified by Visa and/or MasterCard SecureCode logo on their sites.(We will be doing this)
- Even if these logos are not displayed, a merchant may still be a participant and you will be prompted to enter your secret PIN.
How will the online merchant recognize my activated cards?
When a card that has been activated for Secure Internet Shopping is used at participating online merchants, your card number will be recognised and you will be prompted to enter your PIN to complete the purchase.
How does Secure Internet Shopping protect me?
- When you correctly enter your secret PIN during a transaction at a participating online merchant, you confirm that you are the authorised cardholder and the transaction is then completed.
- If an incorrect PIN is entered, the transaction will not be completed.
- Even if someone has your credit or cheque card number, the purchase cannot be completed without your PIN provided that you are shopping at a participating merchant.
- A fraudster will not be able to use an activated card at a participating merchant as they will not know the secret PIN you selected.
- Your SecureCode CSP is the same as your CSP
What are the system requirements for Secure Internet Shopping?
- Secure Internet Shopping works with most browsers. However, software that prevents pop-up windows may interfere with the service.
- No special software is required for this service.
Will Secure Internet Shopping change the online purchase process?
The online purchasing process will not change, except that now you will be prompted to enter your PIN during checkout and payment.
Do I need to apply for a new card to use of this service?
No, you simply activate your existing card or cards.
Does it matter whether I have a MasterCard or Visa card, or a Debit Card?
No, all Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, Switch, Visa Debit and Mastercard Debit cards can be activated for Secure Internet Shopping.
If your MasterCard credit or debit card or Maestro card is issued by one of the following financial institutions you can register for a MasterCard SecureCode now. If your issuer is not on the list, check back frequently-new issuers are being added all the time.
United Kingdom: Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now! Register Now!
I have additional secondary cards linked to my main account. How does that work?
- Activation is for each card and a PIN is linked to that card during activation.
- The person whose name the card has been issued in must activate each card.
Does this activation change my ATM PIN or Internet banking PIN?
No, they are all completely separate.
What will it cost me?
There is no charge for using the service.
When will the transactions appear on my statement?
As soon as the merchant passes a transaction to the bank for payment.
Must I reactivate my card that has been replaced due to being lost or stolen?Yes, you will need to reactivate if your card number changes.
Must I reactivate if my card has expired?
No, as the card number does not change.