HMB, or "B-hydroxy-B-methylbutyrate", is a metabolite of the amino acid Leucine and is produced naturally by the human body. HMB can also be found in many of the foods we eat, such as grapefruit and catfish and can even be found in mother's milk! Although HMB can be found in nature, it is very impractical and difficult to consume these foods on a regular basis to provide the full benefits of HMB. Therefore, supplementing with HMB may be advantageous to weight training athletes or those under extreme muscular stress, like track and field athletes or endurance athletes.
Why should I use HMB?
As is the goal of many of today's top supplements, including Creatine Monohydrate and L-Glutamine, HMB is used to boost strength levels, enhance gains in muscle size and strength, and prevent muscle tissue breakdown that can occur subsequent to strenuous exercise. Scientist are not sure exactly how HMB works, but it is believed that this amino acid metabolite aids in the body's attempts to minimize protein breakdown that can occur subsequent to intense exercise. Therefore, by minimizing the breakdown of protein, or muscle, HMB may help the body recover faster from exercise, which can lead to quicker and greater gains in muscle size and strength.
What doses of HMB should be taken?
Most of the scientific studies that have been done on HMB have used a dose of 3 grams per day, taken in divided doses. Some studies examined the effects of taking 1.5 grams per day versus 3. These studies showed that the group taking the higher dosage, in this case 3 grams per day, made significantly better gains in strength and size and lost more body fat than the 1.5 gram per day group. Some individuals, such as bodybuilders or individuals weighing over 200lbs, might benefit by taking 4.5-6 grams per day. Although no scientific studies have proven it yet, it appears that the effects of HMB may be dose related.
What side-effects are caused by HMB?
As of yet , no known side effects have been reported or documented from the use of HMB. As stated before, HMB is a natural substance produced by the human body and taking HMB in recommended doses is safe and is backed by scientific research. Studies have even suggested HMB may aid in artery health and help reduce cholesterol levels as well.
Who can use USN HMB?
- Individuals wanting to prevent muscle-loss
- Anyone wanting to improve recovery time after extreme workouts
- Any individual that engages in some sort of strenuous physical activity wanting to enhance muscle growth, performance and recovery.
- Individuals wanting to avoid muscle catabolism
- People following low calorie diets, wanting to prevent muscle breakdown and boost immune system
- Individuals engaging in anaerobic exercise wanting to reach his/her optimum goal much faster.
Positives of USN HMB:
- Powerful anti-catabolic amino acid
- Enhances lean muscle growth
- Enhances muscle performance and recovery
- Enhances physical energy and endurance
- Prevents muscle tissue breakdown
- Helps reduce body fat
Nutritional Information per 4 capsules
- HMB (B-hydroxy-B-methylbutyrate) 1000mg
- Potassium phosphate 200mg
Ingredients and Recommended Use
Calcium B-Hydroxy, B-Methylbutyrate Monohydrate (HMB), Potassium phosphate.
As a dietary supplement, take 4 capsules, three time a day with meals. Do not exceed the recommended dosage. Consult with a physician prior to use if you have any medical conditions. Do not use if pregnant or lactating.